In MS Word, you can protect a Word document from editing by using one of the features of it. This procedure is beneficial when you are working with your office colleagues. You can use this feature in Office Word 2007,2010, 2013 and 2016 versions. Here’s how to protect a Word document from getting edited.
Steps to Protect Selected Content in a Word Document
• Go to the Word document which you wish to protect from editing.
• Tap on the Review option.
• After that, press on the Restrict Editing option.
• You will get the Restrict option in the protect menu.
• Now, the Restrict Editing panel will get open on the right-hand column of the Word document.
• Checkmark the “Allow only this type of editing in the document” section below the editing restrictions option.
• After adding the checkmark, the pull-down menu appears below the activate option.
• You need to check No changes option is selected or not
• In case you wish to permit filling forms and editing, then you can choose the right option by going to the menu list.
• You will also get the “Exceptions” button showing on display, but you will return to the previous window soon.
• Choose a Word document which you wish to edit by pressing and pulling the mouse pointer over a text.
• The documents which are not selected will go to the read-only section.
• Keep pressing on the Control keys.
• Go up and down to a Word document.
• Once you have selected a text, return to the Restrict Editing window.
• You will get many options by going to the Groups drop-down menu below the Exceptions option. Here are some of the options given below:
1. Checkmark the Everyone section to permit any other user to edit a Word document they wish to.
2. Press on the More users option to type the username of a specific user who you wish to permit for editing a Word document.
3. Once you have entered the username, press on the OK button and after that, checkmark the person who you wish to permit for editing a Word document.
• Tap on the Yes button.
• Press on the Yes, Start Enforcing Protection option.
• Type the password for the document encryption.
• In case you have not set any password, the Word document is vulnerable to viruses infected users.
• You need to enter the password and after that, tap on the OK button.
• In case you permit any particular users to edit a Word document, then you should choose the User authentication option.
• The text which you have chosen will be placed in the brackets and highlights.
Aida Martin is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.